Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mysore State Anthem and the Last Maharaja

My brother who writes to me off and on sent me this YouTube link recently. My heart fluttered as I heard it after so many years. The last time I heard was at a different time and a different place, but nostalgia hit me like a rock. As one Mysorian (mysorian@gmail.com), to another Mysorian in my audience I could not let go this opportunity of sharing this video.

Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar, the last of Mysore Maharajas was the most enlightened among his peers and you can read all about his love of music and arts in Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayachamarajendra_Wadiyar)

This is one of the most popular pictures of the Maharaja from Wikipedia, I have a few others taken from photographs during my visits to this beloved city.


Here is a video of the Mysore State Anthem which was very popular when Mysore State still existed.


Attributed to Basavappa Shastry 1881.

No comments:

Post a Comment