Saturday, September 3, 2016

Growth of Cities --Looking backwards and forwards

Having lived in foreign countries for a very long time, every time I return to a city that I have lived before, simply astonishes me as all of them have grown incredibly and some of them to an extent that I cannot conceive. I have seen this in Bengaluru, India; Nagoya, Japan, and even in cities from which I was away for less than 10 years like Fort Collins in Colorado.

The demographic movement; the economic conditions, the political changes are some of the promoters of this explosive growth. The growth has brought with it changes to the environment and the quality of life.

La Biennale Di Venezia provided the  Urban Age 'Shaping Cities' conference which motivated  me to look and listen more on this interesting topic.

I was looking at some of the videos and listening to the talks by some of the involved people like Rickey Burdett of London School of Economics and Rahul Mehrotra of Harvard University Graduate School of for the people who live in a city like Mumbai. The social inequality is striking and I am not sure how the affluent people sleep!

Some of the images in this post are from the videos and it will be most interesting if you can take some time to watch the videos to feel the real impact of the real issues.












Extreme Urbanism- Mumbai


Read more here:
https://www.gsd.harvard.edu/project/extreme-urbanism-1/
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/architecture/pritzker-prize-winner-2016-alejandro-aravena/index.html
http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/news/archives/2016/07/UrbanAge.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment