Sunday, November 29, 2015

It was quite a strange sight...

I would have almost missed this strange sight of mushrooms (probably the species called Agaricus campestris )in clusters, quite large ones at that growing in the form of an elliptic ring. It was quite interesting and as I was a bit late in arriving at the site, the elliptic ring was only some 60 to 70% of the original.

Here is a picture of a part of the ring which I found near Chaminade University in Honolulu, Hawaii (11/27/2015). It had rained heavily for the past 3 to 4days. I live quite close by and this is neither a wooded area nor a forest. The ring was right in front of the statue of William Joseph Chaminade which you see in these photographs.

It seems to be not too uncommon and the phenomena is referred to as 'Fairy Ring' or 'Elf Ring' or 'ronds de sorciere' which is supposed to grow around a tree that has been removed. I am not sure about this regarding the ring of mushrooms here.

Here are some pictures and I regret I missed the complete ring that my son told me he saw.


Mushroom clusters
Facing the statue. The ring was right in front of the statue

From behind the statue looking at Waikiki far away.


No comments:

Post a Comment